Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Vanilla and cinnamon rice pudding

I was feeling rather miserable last night with the beginnings of a scratchy throat developing and a headache nagging at me. "It's not nice having to be heavily pregnant and sick." I moaned to Gid.

Thankfully this morning my throat feels a bit better and my head is clear. This calls for a special breakfast celebration so I whipped up a pot of homey comfy warm vanilla and cinnamon rice pudding with plump raisins scattered in.

Gid isn't a fan of any kind of sweet rice, so he had Eggle waffles with maple syrup and cornbread. He found Eggles for sale in the freezer section of the new City Grocer in Suria. He grabbed a box claiming he used to love eating this as a kid in Michigan. I can't say I'm much of a fan (they're a bit dry) but as long as he likes it :)

Vanilla and Cinnamon Rice Pudding (adapted from Shutterbean)

Serves 2

1/2 cup arborio rice

1/8 cup raisins

2 cups whole milk

1/4 cup vanilla sugar - plain caster sugar is fine too (I used slightly less than this)

A dash of cinnamon

A dash ground ginger

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (use a whole teaspoon if using plain sugar)

Place the rice, raisins, milk, vanilla sugar cinnamon and ground ginger into a medium saucepan over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 25-30 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir in vanilla extract just before rice is cooked.

I chilled the leftovers as a delicious cold pudding dessert for later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...