Thursday, November 3, 2011

A Birthday!

Happy Birthday tooooooooooooo G!!

Birthdays should start out with present opening. This one was not so secret because he picked it...but I still wrapped it up all the same. It's his new work watch which he can get muddy and do manly things with.

We went over to G's parents place at about 8.30am. I always like checking out all the fruit trees and vegetables growing over there. First up, I spotted a big bunch of bananas growing outside the front gate.

Mas Dian, my in-law's new gardener had been harvesting coconuts, they were everywhere!

This tall spindly plant is called Sayur Manis (sweet vegetable). You can only eat the tips of the stalk as the leaves, middle and base sections gets very fiberous. I like the slight crunch it has when I have it in stir fries.

One of the many papaya trees (or pawpaw as it's known in Aussieland) growing around the house. I like my papaya very cold and eaten with a squeeze of lime. It's the perfect remedy to the tropical heat over here.

There was a sack of these funny green knobbly guys on the back verandah. My mother in-law said they were 'breadfruit' and it was what the locals ate a lot of during the Japanese occupation in world war 2 as there was not a lot of food to go around.

She had sliced the breadfruit thin, dipped them in a flour and cinnamon batter and fried them up as fritters earlier. I ate a few....well more than a few, they were delicious. Slightly sweet and the texture was starchy, like tapioca.

I made a healthy afternoon snack for G while he did some accounting work at home.

And a not so healthy snack for me. Milk Rocky!!

We're having a family dinner at a Chinese restaurant tonight for G's birthday, then tomorrow we are off on our Singapore/Penang trip! I'm hoping we have free wifi in our hotels. I'll try do a few blog posts if we do :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...